[RFC] wrc & windres

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Dec 5 11:22:45 CST 2002

On December 5, 2002 12:07 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> But maybe a better approach would be to simply output the .res
> into a .o and have winebuild check the file header to recognize when
> an object file is a .res in disguise; this way you don't need an
> intermediate .res.

I thought about that too, but I was a bit worried to bend things
this much. But it's certainly simple to implement, and avoids
a bunch of problems. Moreover, on the outside chance someone tries
to use the .o files as object file, ld will complain about that,
so there's no danger to it. I'll proceed this way.

> > BTW, storing the .res content in the .o file has the small benefit
> > that resource compilation happens at the expected place in the
> > build process, but I guess we can defer it to winewrap, no problem.
>
> Not sure what you mean here; the .res is already compiled anyway.

Indeed, if we go by the above. But if I were to simply touch myfile.o
when myfile.rc was given to wrc, then in winewrap I would have had
the .rc -> .res conversion. But nevermind, this is no longer an issue.

--
Dimi.