Winedbg and gcc 3.2

Alberto Massari alby at exln.com
Fri Dec 6 10:26:42 CST 2002

Hi everybody,
a few weeks ago I changed my build machine from a RedHat 7.2 + gcc 2.9x to
a Mandrake 9.0 + gcc 3.2, and I noticed that I was unable to debug the Wine
libraries (I got messages like "No debug information in ELF
'/usr/local/lib/wine/xxxx.dll.so'), while gdb worked just fine.

So today I digged a little bit and I found that winedbg supports the
"stabs" debug format, and looks for the ".stabs" segment in the binary.
The copy of gcc 3.2 I have (gcc-3.2-1mdk) doesn't produce this segment
unless I replace the -g option with -gstabs.

My questions at this point are:
- is this behavior typical of every gcc 3.2? or it's only Mandrake that
does it?
- is somebody going to change the "configure" script to detect such a
situation and specify "-gstabs" instead of "-g"? (I would volunteer myself,
but I am not expert in this field... I just hacked my copy to make it work
in my tree)
- or should winedbg be improved to understand more debug formats, so that
it can handle whatever informations the "-g" option spits out?

Thanks,
Alberto

P.S. Please don't flame me if I said something naive....