Let --disable-debug actually do something

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Fri Dec 6 16:24:02 CST 2002

On Friday 06 December 2002 03:27 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> "Medland, Bill" <Bill.Medland at accpac.com> writes:
> > Oh.  So how is setting --disable-debug supposed to result in the
> > FIXMES being compiled out?  I just don't understand what is
> > supposed to be happening here; all I know is that it isn't working.
> >  (Or is that not what it is supposed to do?)
>
> It's what it's supposed to do, but it's clearly broken, and has been
> for a very long time, basically because no one uses it.
>
> A possible fix is to hack configure to pass the flags on the compiler
> command-line; another is to remove the configure option completely
> and just tell people who really want it to do something like:
>
>    make clean
>    make all EXTRADEFS=-DNO_DEBUG_MSGS

Unfortunately, I've seen packagers use it.  Gentoo, for example, uses
it.  And I could see the logic: why would joe user want all these
gibberish messages dumping onto the console while he's trying to work?

So, eliminating this from configure might be a good call IMHO, at least
until we get it working.

Perhaps the wrapper scripts should control where the debugging output
goes.  I.E.: we could support (1) the usual stuff (2) appending debug
output to a log file or (3) appending debug output to /dev/null,
without messing with DNO_DEBUG_MSGS....

just a thought,

--
gmt