Intel 8x0 and ALSA sound driver

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 8 10:43:12 CST 2002

Nikolay Stefanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a SIS SI7012 (Intel 810 chipset) built-in audio card, which turns out
> to be capable of only 48000Hz sample rate in hardware. The ALSA winmm driver
> in Wine is hardcoded to use the first hardware pcm device ("hw:0") directly,
> and therefore fails for any wave format request with a sample rate different
> than 48000Hz. I have lifted some code from dsound and put together a patch
> which adds the option to read the device name from the Wine configuration
> file. As a result I have now got Winamp working (hurray for me!).
>
> HOWEVER there are still issues - the "default" ALSA device doesn't like the
> way Wine accesses it through mmap, and also it seems that it is not possible
> to set the buffer size and period size the way it is done now. Other programs
> that use ALSA, like aplay and mplayer, don't have this problem. My knowledge
> of Wine and ALSA is pretty meagre, so can anyone can provide any insight as
> to how to fix this issue?
>
> My config file now looks like this
> [alsa]
> ;"Device" = "hw:0"
> "Device" = "default"
> "UseMMAP" = "N"

I assume you're using ALSA 0.9 (not 0.5) and that winamp uses the dsound
interface

I don't think this is the right think to do:
- from hard coding the driver name, winealsa should enumerate all
installed alsa drivers, and be prepared to open such a device
- from the mmap configuration, this should be identified at run time,
not by an obscure configuration option

A+