wrc options

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Dec 8 10:43:08 CST 2002

Hello people,

I was looking at wrc a little bit, and I am curious to know if
we really need all these options. They just pollute the command line
namespace, and add confusion. windres has none of these options,
and it's doing just fine.

Let me be more explicit:

        "   -a n        Alignment of resource (win16 only, default is 4)\n"

Do we really need this? Shouldn't this be hardcoded to some standard values?

        "   -A          Auto register resources (only with gcc 2.7 and better)\n"
        "   -b          Create an assembly array from a binary .res file\n"

Do we still want to create the assembly output? Do we still use that?

        "   -B x        Set output byte-order x={n[ative], l[ittle], b[ig]}\n"
        "               (win32 only; default is n[ative] which equals "

Again, shouldn't this be hardcoded to some standard value, that we
expect in Wine when we read the resources?

        "   -c          Add 'const' prefix to C constants\n"

What's this good for?

        "   -e          Disable recognition of win32 keywords in 16bit compile\n"

Shouldn't this be on be default? Should we even support 16bit compiles anymore?

        "   -E          Preprocess only\n"

??? What for?

        "   -g          Add symbols to the global c namespace\n"

Is this choice useful?

        "   -h          Also generate a .h file\n"
        "   -H file     Same as -h but written to file\n"

I would personally collapse this one into the type of output to be generated.

        "   -L          Leave case of embedded filenames as is\n"

Shouldn't this one be on by default? Why do we need this option?

        "   -m          Do not remap numerical resource IDs\n"

What is this one used for?

        "   -n          Do not generate .s file\n"

Should we still generate .s files in the first place?

        "   -p prefix   Give a prefix for the generated names\n"

Why?

        "   -r          Create binary .res file (compile only)\n"

I would make this default behavior.

        "   -s          Add structure with win32/16 (PE/NE) resource directory\n"

I'd guess if we need it, it should be generated, if not, just don't do it.
Why do we have an option?

        "   -t          Generate indirect loadable resource tables\n"
        "   -T          Generate only indirect loadable resources tables\n"

What are these used for?

        "   -w 16|32    Select win16 or win32 output (default is win32)\n"

Should we care about win16 in the first place? We clearly never going to
support win16 in Winelib, so why have this option?

--
Dimi.