wpp

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Dec 8 15:24:51 CST 2002

On December 8, 2002 03:27 pm, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> It is faster. Mucher faster. Using cpp/gcc -E needs to
> fork a new process for example.

What?!? You got to be kiddin', right? If you can measure
any difference in build time between the forking gcc -E
and using wpp I'll give you a dollar in small change.

On Linux process creating is extremely fast, and we do
fork 1000s of processes while building wine, this sort
of argument is just silly.

By the same rationale I suggest having a complete copy
of gcc, ld, nm, and whatever tools we use while building
wine.

So no, if speed is the only argument, I say we get rid
of it: it's not worth maintaining a fraction of all that
additional code.

> And then of course using "gcc -E" would possibly cause
> a GPL violatation. Not that it would matter very much
> if wrc and friend were GPL:ed.

WTF are you talking about?!? How did you figure this one
out? Really, this is simply false, you can fork GPL
programs all you want, and cause no GPL violation.

--
Dimi.