wpp

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Sun Dec 8 19:34:34 CST 2002

On December 8, 2002 06:01 pm, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> It would be very nice it something made a GNU C compiler
> library to support among other things only running
> the preprocessor.

Um, you mean like "cpp"? The debian packagers have even split it out from
the gcc package for convenience, the package description explains;

---------
[snip]
The GNU C preprocessor is a macro processor that is used automatically by
the GNU C compiler to transform programs before actual compilation.

This package has been separated from gcc for the benefit of those who
require the preprocessor but not the compiler.
[snip]
---------

so clearly it can be done, and this is presumably for the reasons Dimitrie
mentioned - preprocessing can be a useful (and much faster) subset to
separate out from the compilation process.

But as for the GPL argument against using the GNU C (pre)compiler from a
run-time (ie. "forking/exec of 'gcc -E' is like linking to a GPL lib"), I
find that rather hard to believe - especially as invoking "gcc -E" can be
framed in very user-supplied terms. Eg. if the user is able to (in
theory) configure the program to exec() any precompilation programs (and
command-line options) they want, then who is going to sue *who* when the
default value for that setting just happens to be "gcc -E" when the
program installs? Richard Stallman will sue Redhat? Or will the FSF begin
a crackdown against adolescent nerds who illegally point GPL-incompatible
configuration files to GPL-licensed precompilers ...? I really don't
think this should be a cause for concern.

Cheers,
Geoff

--
Geoff Thorpe