regression: msvc4.0 install dies sooner now

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Dec 9 11:24:18 CST 2002

Dan Kegel wrote:

>> I found an unopened copy of msvc++ 4.0 at a garage sale last year for $5,
>> couldn't resist.  Today I finally tried to install it under Wine.
>
> OK, more details.  I switched to testing the simplest
> function of msvc's setup program: the exit button.
> All I do is click on the exit button.  (Easy, right?)
> It works fine in Wine-20020804, but fails in Wine-20020904 and later.

Following http://www.winehq.org/Docs/wine-devel/cvs-regression.shtml
I managed to narrow the problem down to between 2002-08-26 and 2002-08-28.
I'll narrow it down more when I get a chance.

I'm sorely tempted to install http://ccache.samba.org/
or http://distcc.samba.org/ or even http://gecc.sourceforge.net/
as the 25 minutes it takes to do a full rebuild of wine
is a bit of an impediment.  (Though a big, big improvement
from how long it took the first time I tried to build it
back in the days of 90 MHz pentiums...)

- Dan