Accented Characters

Richard Allen ra at ra.is
Tue Dec 10 06:05:47 CST 2002

Hello all.  I've been trying to get accented characters to work propperly
in wine.
For those who dont know, accented characters are beasts like "áéýúíó"
We obtain them by pressing the dead key (mute_acute in my case) and then
the key we want accented.

I'm using CVS as of yesterday.
[ra at xo winecvs]$ cat wine/VERSION
Wine version 20021125

As far as I can tell, dlls/x11drv/keyboard.c seems to be where my
problem is.

[ra at xo ra]$ wine /home/ra/.wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/mIRC/mirc.exe
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_KEYBOARD_DetectLayout Your keyboard layout was not found!
Using closest match instead (Icelandic keyboard layout) for scancode mapping.
Please define your layout in windows/x11drv/keyboard.c and submit them
to us for inclusion into future Wine releases.
See the Wine User Guide, chapter "Keyboard" for more information.

Now, keyboard.c does have a definition for the Icelandic keyboard, but as
far as I can tell it's only used to recognize what keymap is in action, and
not to define it ?.   I've experimented with it, things like changing the
"2" key to a "b" but it did not change the keyboard layout.

The warning above is just because the definition in wine for the IS keymap
doesnt match the one thats shipping with XFRee86 completely ?

Anyway. my battle for the accented characters continues.  The keyboard
handling in wine is unlike anything I've ever seen before.
Can anyone give me a quick runthru on how keyboard handling really works
in wine, and prehaps help fix this ?

Also, how are accented characters (dead keys) working in other languages ?
Is this a problem limited to Icelandic or to accented characters in
general ?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

--
Rikki.         --  RHCE, RHCX, HP-UX Certified Administrator.
               --  Solaris 7 Certified Systems and Network Administrator.