Wineboot

Shachar Shemesh fribid-discuss at sun.consumer.org.il
Thu Dec 12 15:47:12 CST 2002

Joerg Mayer wrote:

>On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 11:14:43AM -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>

>>Hmm, that message is a bit out of contest. It _is_ an external utility that
>>does the reboot (it's the wineboot utility), the problem is when to invoke
>>it.
>>

>Just wondering: Why is the reboot needed? Just because M$ does it or
>are there valid reasons for Wine to reboot as well? What are these reasons?

In a nutshell - some operations are delayed until reboot due to file
locks, running processes, services and drivers, and a host of other
reasons. The reasons you don't see such things in Unix are:
a. Seperate functionality is better seperated into seperate process,
thus making restarting a specific aspect of the system easier.
b. Files are never locked, and therefor can always be replaced.

>Can they be fixed?

Maybe. That's a pretty serious question and one for two minor startups.

> Should they be fixed?

I don't think so. Wine restart is far less painful than a Windows
restart. Sometime in the future, maybe.