wine/ tools/winebuild/winebuild.man.in tools/w ...

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Dec 13 03:23:09 CST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
[...]
> If wer'e on the subject, maybe we can enhance the stub files to contain,
> for each function, the versions of windows for which it is exported?
>
> Right now we have a slight anomality where even if we define the windows
> version as win95, we still export functions only available under Windows NT.

We won't do that. In short it brings a lot of complication and no
visible benefit. Besides from the obvious work it represents, for a
number of libraries the version of the OS may not be as important as the
version of IE that is installed. Furthermore, not exporting certain APIs
is just one aspect. Win95 still exports most of the Unicode APIs but all
they do is return 'error not implemented'. So 'perfect' emulation would
require that we cause these functions to fail in the same way. It would
also require that we remove support for various flags like the
WAVE_FORMAT_DIRECT flag in winmm, the security related options, 16/32bit
coordinates, and adjust countless other details.

So this would be pretty complex and it's very doubtful that applications
rely on such things. If they did they would not work on NT/200/XP for
one thing. And in the many years I have been reading wine-devel, I don't
remember anyone hitting this problem.

              Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware