How long does it take *you* to build wine?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Dec 16 00:51:59 CST 2002

I got tired of waiting for wine to build, and started looking
for ways to speed it up.

I have three systems handy: a dual 650MHz PIII, a 750MHz PIII laptop,
and a 1.1 GHz Celeron with shared memory video (i.e. dog slow).
To see if a parallel compile would help, I installed Red Hat 8.0
on all systems, and installed the RPM for distcc from http://distcc.samba.org.

I then timed how long it took to do a 'make' after 'make clean' in
a recent copy of the wine tree.

It does look like distributing the load helps a tiny
bit, but it's not clear it's a big win over just building
on the dual 650MHz machine.
The fastest build I've seen so far is 19 minutes.  I'm pretty
sure I'm not doing things optimally yet.

So how long does it take *you* to do a clean build
(just the 'make' part after 'make depend', say) of
Wine-20021125?
- Dan

p.s.
No fair using ccache!  That's the next tool I want to investigate;
it's probably the biggest win of all, at least for regression
testing.