How long does it take *you* to build wine?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Dec 16 03:03:31 CST 2002

Dan Kegel wrote:
> So how long does it take *you* to do a clean build
> (just the 'make' part after 'make depend', say) of
> Wine-20021125?

OK, got some numbers building 20021125 on my home machines:

30min      : 750MHz PIII laptop
17min 21sec: dual 650MHz PIII, 7200RPM disks, make -j2
16min  1sec: distcc on the dual 650MHz as localhost, 750MHz laptop, and a 1.1GHz celeron, make -j4

And on another machine not at home:
8 min      : dual 1.2GHz P4 Xeon, make -j2

So the fastest build I've seen so far (not including
configure or make depend) is about 8 minutes.

distcc seems to help a tiny bit.
it's kind of looking like I should get a faster motherboard
if I want sub-ten-minute builds.

Next step should be to measure benefit of using ccache
when searching through cvs for the patch that broke something,
but I'll probably just go out and get a faster motherboard.

I want one with gigabit ethernet onboard; pricewatch says
$320 for an Asus A7V8X with "2400" Athlon XP,
$353 for an Asus P4PE with 2.4GHz P4.  Hmm.
I bet either one of those would get me Wine builds below ten minutes...
Does anyone have a good recipe for building an inexpensive
machine that can build Wine quickly?
- Dan