VarOr / oleaut32

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Dec 16 04:03:46 CST 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:20:18AM +0000, Ben Clewett wrote:
> us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >Hiya,
> >
> >What app shows this? Can I get hold of it - I should be able to knock
> >something up for it as a test regardless, but it might not be til mid next
> >week.
> >
> >Jason
> >

> It's a VB6 application of our own description.  I have not had a chance
> to hack the source code to see where it comes into play, but probably
> something to do with a third party DLL we use for remote database
> connectivity.
>
> Thanks for the offer of a fix.
>
> I was hoping there was a generic fault, and somebody might have a
> generic fix.  Since it seems to be more indepth, I will try any get an
> exact location of location of failure first.
Even though I now implemented VarOr, I guess you might want to be careful
about that and use a native oleaut32 instead, since oleaut32 contains
tons of variant calculation functions (mul, add, and, xor, various
conversions, div, round), so if there's *any* bug in there affecting
some function your program uses, boom goes your data eventually.
That's why I'd use native oleaut32 for production use.
OTOH I'm still waiting for some builtin oleaut32 test reports ;)

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://mohr.de.tt