How long does it take *you* to build wine?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.de
Mon Dec 16 04:21:03 CST 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 10:51:59PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> It does look like distributing the load helps a tiny
> bit, but it's not clear it's a big win over just building
> on the dual 650MHz machine.
> The fastest build I've seen so far is 19 minutes.  I'm pretty
> sure I'm not doing things optimally yet.
>
> So how long does it take *you* to do a clean build
> (just the 'make' part after 'make depend', say) of
> Wine-20021125?
On a athlon 900 with 512 MB RAM it takes about 30 minutes for a full
build, but only for the first run. On the second run it takes about 3-4
minutes :). Ok, i'm using ccache and it realy paid out during my
-DSTRICT work. The cache hit rate had varied between 30% and 80%,
depending what i've done. You get 30% - 40% hitrate for normal updates
from cvs without doing a "make clean".

> No fair using ccache!  That's the next tool I want to investigate;
> it's probably the biggest win of all, at least for regression
> testing.
I've thought about buying a new computer before i started to use ccache.
With ccache i'll wait for the Hammer.

bye
	michael

System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart