Update to patches sgml

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Thu Dec 19 13:09:45 CST 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:36:14AM -0700, Tony Lambregts wrote:
> Joerg Mayer wrote:
> >Maybe you should include a step by step instruction for outlook users
> >how to do that. It seems that outlook is the leading misattachment generator,
> >so instead of just telling people what NOT to do, maybe you can tell
> >people how to do it right.
>
> Well I suppose I could if I had those instructions.

I jsut dug out the following mail:

----------------
From: "Dmitry Timoshkov" <dmitry at baikal.ru>
To: "Patrik Stridvall" <ps at leissner.se>
Cc: <wine-devel at winehq.com>
Subject: Re: winapi update
"Patrik Stridvall" <ps at leissner.se> wrote:

> > On October 29, 2002 11:27 am, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> > > Anyway, I can't inline my patches the because Microsoft
> > Outlook wraps
> > > the lines and I sure a lot of other people that use attachments have
> > > similar problems.
> >
> > And can't be turned off?!? Hmmm, anyway, just attach them as
> > text/plain.
>
> I have no idea how or if it is possible to do either.

This is a part of my mail sent to Guy in order to help him to send patches
using Outlook Express. I hope that it will be helpful for Outlook users too.

<QUOTE>

Since I was using OE to send patches, I have found a way to send diffs as
attachments and without \n vs. \r\n problem.

You need following two things to make it work.

1. Make sure that .diff files have \r\n line ends, because if OE detects
that there is no \r\n line endings it switches to quoted-printable format
attachments.

2. Using regedit add key "Content Type" with value "text/plain" to the
.diff extension under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (same as for .txt extension). This
tells OE to use Content-Type: text/plain instead of application/octet-stream.

</QUOTE>

Item #1 is important. After you hit "Send" button, go to "Outbox" and using
"Properties" verify the message source to make sure that the mail has correct
format. You might want to send several test e-mails to yourself too.

--
Dmitry.
----------------

> However it seems out of scope for a style section.

You are right, but only in theory. The reality is, that people easily
do the "wrong" thing while trying to do the "right" thing. And that's
not because they didsomething stupid, but because but because M$ products
tend to know better what the users needs to do thatn the user himself :-/

> AFAIK just giving the patch a .txt
> extention and attaching will solve the problem for most mailers
> including outlook.

Then this should be tested by people who have access to O and OE and added
afterwards.

  Ciao
         Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                          <jmayer at loplof.de>
I found out that "pro" means "instead of" (as in proconsul). Now I know