Changing FS type reported by Wine

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Dec 26 14:43:21 CST 2002

On Thursday 26 December 2002 10:35 am, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Duane Clark wrote:
> > Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> Windows which _doesn't_ understand the concept of different file
> >> systems under a single drive.
> Surely from Windows p-o-v _no_ other return values should be
> legitimate. Can windows natively read any other types?  I don't think
> so.

Hmm, perhaps not out of the box, but surely, what with reparse-points,
DFS, "offline files", hard-links, and other such features, it's not so
simple as "fs(root)==fs(arbitrary_subdir(root)) && fs(root) in [fat,
ntfs]" in all cases, is it?  And then there is support for netware,
appletalk, and even nfs....

Also, itsn't it totally possible, even limiting ones self to documented
functionality in the DDK, to produce 3rd-party FS drivers and install
them (note, that I didn't say easy :) )?  The above just covers what
you can get from Microsoft...  For example, doesn't Oracle provide some
FS driver (or perhaps they gave up on that plan...)?

Regardless, I don't see anything wrong with the current approach, which
could be extended to support NTFS, or some new driver.  Getting the
emulated FS type from the native FS type seems like a limitation more
than a feature to me... or am I missing the idea of this?

--
gmt

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate,
tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the
minds of men." --Samuel Adams, Patriot