Wine license change

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 8 08:30:20 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Roger Fujii wrote:

> I didn't mention cost for the same reason.  It seems like a trivial
> academic exercise to show that something that has LESS restrictions is
> more "free" than something with more.  Hence it is riduculous to say
> GPL is more "free" than X11/BSD (which is why I wrote that to begin with).

No, it's not. A society where _everything_ is permitted (even murder), is
certainly more "free" than one where murder is punished, if we follow your
argument. In a very short sighted way of looking of things, maybe you are
right. But _overall_, the society which punished murder is _more_
free. This is because in that society mos t people can go about doing what
they want without fear of being killed. In the other, only a very small
group of strong people can do that, while all the others have most their
freedoms denied by this extremly small (but strong) group.

So no, it's not a 'trivial academic exercise' at all.

--
Dimi.