Licensing, the question ...

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 8 13:37:34 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Paul Millar wrote:

> IMHO, LGPL is too draconian for wine. How able something like LGPL, but
> with some extra clauses. So you have a LGPL license, but with the
> following (rough) clauses:
>   1. "Fair use" You are allowed to use any "small" part of the code under
>      a BSD-style license agreement.

The purpose of this point is really dubious. No amount of "small" code in
wine can warrant the modification of a standard license like the
LGPL. There is already a large body of Wine code licensed under BSD, it's
good enough.

>   2. "Embargo" You are allowed to refrain from making the source-code
>      (of your modified wine source) available for a "fixed period",
>      after which the licensed code must be made available.

This is a possibility -- it is significant enough to warrant the amendment
of the LGPL. Whether it's a good amendment, I can't say now.

--
Dimi.