Wine License change: Open question to Jeremy White

Roland roland at netquant.com.br
Fri Feb 8 15:31:20 CST 2002

Quote from Jeremy White:

"However, with some recent events I cannot disclose, it is clear to me that
the opportunity for Wine to be used in a proprietary product is too
tempting and has caused some harm to the Wine project.  Based on
experience, I feel strongly that the potential for harm is great enough
that CodeWeavers needs to take two actions. First, we would like to release
all new code we develop under an LGPL style license. Second, I would like
to open another call for a license change and thereby strongly add my voice
to Alexandre's."

Obviously you, Jeremy started this discussion. I don't want to sound
curious, but I have the feeling that our discussion will be in vain if we
don't know about those "events" you can't disclose. I mean suppose that the
list reaches a consensus to stay at the BSD license. This wouldn't make a
difference would it? You would simply say, sorry: but I have my reasons
which I can't disclose and will start a xGPL fork of WINE now...

So I think to consider all interests involved we must obviously first KNOW
what they are specifically...otherwise we will just be wasting time without
touching the really important points(your specific concerns among others...).

Best regards, Roland