Dr. Seuss, licensing, and WINE

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Feb 8 16:25:29 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:31:37AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> Perhaps a simple economic analysis would help to assuage those egos.

[good writing snipped]

> Finally (and most importantly), if users DO buy the value added product,
> every cent they pay will be not for the original product (whose market value,
> as entioned above, is tautologically zero) but for the value added by the
> vendor. Thus, no developer of WINE can claim that the vendor is "making money
> off of" WINE. EVERY CENT will be due not to what the WINE project did, but
> to the value added. If the vendor is able to make money at all (and it's a
Plain WRONG :)

If Wine wasn't there at all, then the vendor of such a package would
have to create *everything* from scratch.
And that argument still counts.

Yes, in order to make people buy some "value-added" version of Wine would
require HUGE efforts on the part of the vendor, but without the Wine
basics he would be even MUCH worse off.

Thus I don't buy your "EVERY CENT" part AT ALL.

This is the last part of your description, which sounds rather wrong to me.
Anyway, the parts before that were very good, I think.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/