Dr. Seuss, licensing, and WINE

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Feb 9 18:36:50 CST 2002

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, David Elliott wrote:

> This is simply not true.  This is very much Wine's problem.  If I need
> some of Lindows's functionality to run my program but would still like to
> be able to hack on other parts of Wine then I, as a developer and user, am
> screwed.

Now hang on!  Mind, I won't spend any money to find out, but what is
lindows exactly?   Did they undo all the dll separatrion and make a
single monolithic static-linked executable, or is it
(stripped?) binaries lindows and linserver and a whole bunch of
(stripped) "elf-pe" dll's and lindows-lib executables?  If so, either
they will interoperate with Wine, or we can make them do so, even if we
have to add another entry to loadorder (builtin, so, lindows, native).

Ought to be easier to reverse engineer than native windows dlls, too.

Lawson

Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.