Time for a Fork (fwd)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 9 21:24:32 CST 2002

winedev at admdev.com wrote:

> Wouldn't really work... Not only the extra work for Alexandre,

No extra work neccessary; he could appoint a BSD fan to
maintain the traditional tree, and shift all his efforts to the LGPL tree.

> but the fact the trees will become totally unsyched.

Yes, that might happen.  That's to be expected.  Compare, say,
netbsd and freebsd; they're unsynched now.

> Then there's pollution of code and licensing from one tree to the next.

I don't expect that would be a problem, as any patches sent to the
old list would be fair game for either tree.
Authors who feel strongly in favor of the LGPL would send patches
to the new list; the BSD tree maintainer, whoever that is, would
not read that list.

> The problems are too many to count. This is really an all-or-nothing
> decision.

For the LGPL advocates, it's an all-or-nothing shift; they vote with their feet.
For the BSD advocates, it's business as usual (except that they have to find a new tree maintainer).

> If we loose developers from making a license shift, then so be
> it... I think its inevitable, but I also think they will slowly start
> drifting back when they realise that it DOES work and isn't quite the evil
> they thought :)

I rather agree.  However, trying to switch the existing patch mailing
list and CVS tree to a new license in place is bound to create too
much confusion.  Creating a new tree and patch mailing list, and leaving
the old ones to the BSD fans, is the best way to achieve a clear transition.

- Dan