Font issue

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 10 05:26:42 CST 2002

> Yes, we shouldn't enum X11 fonts if freetype/xrender is enabled.  I'll
> submit a patch for this soon.

there's more than that. requesting a fixed pitch font should really
return
such a font... here's what I get (for the default fixed pitch hard wired
to Courier New), widths gottent from GetCharExtent32 and compared to
average width
Char 1 (!) has wrong width: 10
Char 2 (") has wrong width: 10
Char 4 ($) has wrong width: 12
Char 5 (%) has wrong width: 12
Char 7 (') has wrong width: 10
Char 10 (*) has wrong width: 10
Char 11 (+) has wrong width: 12
Char 14 (.) has wrong width: 10
Char 15 (/) has wrong width: 10
Char 16 (0) has wrong width: 10
Char 17 (1) has wrong width: 10
Char 21 (5) has wrong width: 12
Char 23 (7) has wrong width: 10
Char 24 (8) has wrong width: 10

I tested it on windows 98 & nt2K and their TT fixed font really have a
fixed
pitch... (this the main reason for current rather strange output in
wineconsole)
however, the max char width is (at least on the fonts I tested on
Windows)
he average + 1 (which I don't really understand)

finally, when returing a fixed pitch font, it would be better
to set the family to Modern rather than Roman

A+