Greetings and a question

Uwe Bonnes bon at
Tue Feb 12 12:32:10 CST 2002

    Michael> Hello everyone. My name is Michael Cardenas and I'm working on
    Michael> Wine for I'd like to start a lot more
    Michael> communication with all of you and I have a couple of questions.

    Michael> I'm working on an app that uses a custom dll which requires
    Michael> msvcp60.dll to be loaded at launch time and won't launch
    Michael> without it.

    Michael> Currently there's no implementation of msvcp60.dll in wine. Is
    Michael> that just because no one has needed it yet?

Probably. Another possibility might be that every application that needs it,
has a copy in it's setup.

    Michael> Or has someone
    Michael> looked into this and seen that it's too large to do? Or is it
    Michael> just not needed and there's some substitute dll? Doing some
    Michael> research, I see that on a fresh install of Windows98, the dll
    Michael> is present, so it seems to be a common windows dll. MSDN
    Michael> mentions the dll in this article:
    Michael> "A good example of this is the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
    Michael> assembly, which includes atl.dll, mfc42.dll, mfc42u.dll, and
    Michael> msvcp60.dll."

This explicitly points to my guess above. Nearly every application using MFC
distributes the files mentioned.

    Michael> Also, there's been basically no discussion of
    Michael> this dll on this mailing list.  So, to proceed, I'm going to
    Michael> create a stub dll and hope the app will launch and not need
    Michael> many functions from that dll. I'd like to know if there's a
    Michael> good way to make a complete stub for the dll. Right now, I just
    Michael> made a stub dll with one function.

There is no "good way" know yet. It seems msvcp60.dll exports a hugh number
of entries ( >2000). So I guess it falls in the mfc42 category (nearly
impossible to reimplement because of sheer size).
also has some good explanations around that redistribution license.

Hope this helps

Uwe Bonnes                bon at