Licensing response and an idea

Roger Fujii rmf at lookhere.com
Tue Feb 12 19:45:11 CST 2002

Gavriel State <gav at transgaming.com> wrote:
> > You did not mention whether you want to have this
> > license only or to have Wine licensed also with some
> > open-source license?
> >
> > I think in this case even GPL can be a choice for the
> > second license.
>
> Under the WineCorp approach, the AFPL + an allowance
> for commercial redistribution if Wine code is returned is
> essentially equivalent to the LGPL.  It's more flexible though,
> since it allows for the possibility of other unforseen ways in
> which commercial redistribution without immediate release
> of source would be possible.
>
> It would also be possible for the WineCorp to allow certain
> portions or all of the code to be dual-licensed under the LGPL
> and mixed with other GPL or LGPLed projects.

I think that you'll find considerable resistance from the *GPL
people, but you do bring up a good point.

If there is going to be a license change, it would probably be
wise to require that the copyright of future submissions go to a single
(or small #) of people.  That way, you can revert the
licensing terms if you change your mind.

-r