Wine build system tech info

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Wed Feb 13 15:49:56 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Patrik Stridvall wrote:

> > As part of a private investigation I noticed that both
> > WINE and LINUX kernel
> > build systems have a mkdep utility which generates in
> > clude file
> > dependencies. What I am looking for is to understand
> > the reasons behind this
> > decision for the two very popular projects instead the
> > recipe
> > suggested by GNU make documentation.
> For us because we do not wish to depend on GNU Make.

   Note that we depend on GNU make anyway. In particualr there are some
issues on FreeBSD if you try to compile with the default make. If not in
the regular case, at least in the 'out-of-tree' case:

   This fails. If I use gmake instead then it works.
   But maybe it's more an incompatibility with FreeBSD's default make
than a dependency on the GNU make.

Francois Gouget         fgouget at
              Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware