Question concerning internal string usage

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Feb 14 18:04:34 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Gerhard Gruber wrote:

> Some functions are duplicated with their only difference being that one
> of them is wide character (W) and the other is ASCII (A). Of course it
> makes sense to convert one of them into the other and reuse the existing
> code. What I was wondering about, though is that, at least in the
> exmaple of files/profile.c the W functions are converting to A instead
> the other way around. Shouldn't we expect some problems with systems
> using wide characters or is this handled such that these characters are
> represented as more then one characters in ASCII? In Windows I'm pretty
> sure that A is always converted to W for such functions.

   Yes, you are supposed to implement xxxA by calling xxxW and not the
other way around. But historically, the xxxA functions have been
implemented first and the xxxW came later. And it's easier to just call
the xxxA function than to move all the code around to do things the
right way.

   Still, the xxxW -> xxxA instances need to be fixed and they, slowly,
are. You are welcome to lend a hand.

  Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
                               -- Barry LePatner