BSD, Gav, LGPL, Jeremy, and business

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Feb 15 13:39:14 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> In short, the (L)GPL will accomplish its stated goals: to put commercial
> software vendors out of business and to prevent programmers (including
> CodeWeavers!) from being adequately compensated for their work.

Listen Brett,

I hate to break it to you, but you are barking up the wrong
tree. Honestly, how many people do you think buy this type of
argument? Can't you see that most Linux distributions _are_ made mostly of
xGPLed code, and that hasn't stoped a lot of proprietary companies such as
Oracle, SAP, IBM, etc. to release and develop code on this platform?

But really, my question is rethorical -- I expect no answer to that. Quite
frankly, I consider arguments on this line of thinking delussional and
paranoic, and to my mind they only add noise to the discussion. Let's drop
them.

--
Dimi.