Clarification on my call for license change

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Sat Feb 16 03:11:48 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 08:03:16PM -0600, Sean Farley wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:48, Francois Gouget wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Daniel Walker wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 	Wine is a _re_implementation .. 90% of the code we write is double
> > > work, triple work sometimes .. It doesn't bother me that we had to
> > > rewrite something, since after all that is what we do.. Wouldn't we have
> > > it easy is Microsoft would just release their source? The real question
> > > is, if Wine was GPL'd would TransGaming have written the DCOM code in
> > > the first place?
> >
> >    No, the real question is whether Transgaming would have written the
> > DCOM code if CodeWeavers had not released its typelib code in the first
> > place.
>
> Would CodeWeavers have written its typelib code if others had not
> created Wine?  No.  Wine was not written originally for financial gain,
> was it?  If people make money off of something I do for free without
> desire of capitalizing on it, I do not see a problem.

Actually you just can read up on earlier debates on google:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=GPL+group:comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

Interesting is the year 1996 and this thread I think:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&threadm=58iip6%241an%40imp.serv.net&rnum=9&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DGPL%2Bgroup:comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

And especially:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&selm=1szq0fy8sm.fsf_-_%40lrcsuns.epfl.ch

Ciao, Marcus