BSD, Gav, LGPL, Jeremy, and business

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Sat Feb 16 04:03:05 CST 2002

At 02:38 AM 2/16/2002, Patrik Stridvall wrote:

>I'm sorry if I sound a little angry but it seems that some
>of people have found me guilty by association with you

Patrik, don't you see? We're both guilty of the same sin:
saying that everything does not revolve around the Earth.
While we have different views of how things DO work,
there's exceedingly strong evidence for what we say.
But because it's contrary to some people's "religious"
beliefs they would rather excommunicate us, suppress
what we have to say, or burn us at the stake than listen.

>What you are doing IMHO is pure fear mongering,

No, it's not. I am making predictions based on what
has happened to other businesses in the recent past,
as well as sound economic principles. I'm not advocating
or attempting to induce fear. But if the outcome does not
look rosy, it's because WINE really would head down a
very destructive path if it were (L)GPLed.

>I firmly believe that the GPL and the LGPL has
>a place in the world.

Their place, and purpose, has been stated by Stallman.
(Not in the licenses themselves, which are designed
to be deceptive, but in Stallman's words in his more
candid moments.) It is to turn publicly available
software into a weapon in his lifelong, personal
vendetta. Again, he has stated this explicitly
himself, and it is also well documented by third parties
such as Levy.

WINE should rise above this agenda and not become an
agent of it.

--Brett