BSD, Gav, LGPL, Jeremy, and business

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Sat Feb 16 09:45:47 CST 2002

At 04:42 AM 2/16/2002, winedev at admdev.com wrote:

>My point was that it does seem a little redundant to repeat the
>same arguments over and over in response to the same arguments being
>posted...

I am trying to repeat myself as little as possible and only to
post when there is new information to mention. However, it seems
as if a certain number of people will always ignore one's previous
postings and then assert that you're hand-waving if you don't
repeat earlier arguments.

>Maybe hate was the wrong word, 'disagree' with. I don't know why you saw
>my message as a flame, it's simply stating a fact... If I'm wrong, and
>there is some points you agree with in the xGPL licenses, feel free to say
>so! :)

Well, it's hard to talk about "agreeing with" or "disagreeing with"
a license, since it is not a statement but rather a contract. I
certainly do disagree with Stallman's "philosophy" and goals, as
you know.

I also believe that the FSF's licenses are unconscionable and hopefully
legally unenforceable. It did quite surprise me when Jeremy claimed
that the X11/BSD license was "murky," when the BSD license has been
tested in court. The FSF licenses never have, there's much more
controversy over what they mean, and they seem to be on quite weak
ground legally (as I've explained earlier).

--Brett