License change vote results

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Tue Feb 19 11:20:02 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:57:16PM -0300, Roland wrote:
> I hope this doesn't mean we choose a xGPL style license. It scares me to
> see how willingly the crowd is going down this one-way road where there is
> no way back. I since we shouldn't take this decision too hastyly. If we
> once switch we cannot go back. But with the BSD license, which is less
> retrictive and really gives freedom we can decide otherway at any later moment.

This is NOT a one way process : Mesa went, for example, from a LGPL license
to the X11 license to be integrated into the XFree code base. As far as I
know, Ogg Vorbis did the same, no ?

You just have to store somewhere the list of names of people who have
submitted LGPLed patches and ask them if they agree or not to have their
work relicensed.

Moreover, if Alexandre wants to release his patch as LGPL, it's his choice.
He is using the fabled BSD freedom to do whatever he chooses with the code.
You do not agree ? Well, you just had to choose another license than the BSD
one :-) (sorry, I just had to write something like that).

The BSDist now just have to find an Alexandre replacement to work on their
core Wine internals for their BSD fork :-)

                       Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/