X11DRV_DIB_[Get/Set]ImageBits in 1, 4 and 8 bit X modes.

Mike Utke utkemich at msu.edu
Thu Feb 21 18:15:22 CST 2002

David Hammerton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm presently modifying the X11DRV dibsection code for slight speed
> improvements using shared memory pixmaps and the like. Im into the "clean up
> and make it work on all systems" stage of thing, and I have a question.
> Do people ever worry about what happens if the user is running in a 1, 4 or 8
> bit X mode? This has some wacky code, which I am unable to test on my machine
> (or any machine around).. So i'm implementing what I think _should_ do the
> trick - but I have no idea if it will work..
>
> Is it a big issue?
> Any suggestions to the problem?

I recalled François Gouget's VNC work from October and found the message
where he described how to use it to test various combinations:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2001/10/0278.html

I'm now saying that this will work in 1, 4 or 8 bit configurations, but
it's worth a try.  It might also be worthwhile to make sure your code
works with several '-pixelformat's to test compatibility.

Mike