wineserver request size

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 26 14:33:01 CST 2002

how to handle large wineserver request structure ?

I've been working on adding the dwFillAttribute handling
to CreateProcess (and passing between parent and child)
while I was at it, I also added all the other fields
(window geometry, console title/size...)
at the end the two requests used in the process
(new_process and init_process) are larger than the fixed
request_max_size structure (80 bytes would be needed)

so, what's the preferred way of handling this:
1) bump the request_max_size to the needed size (but all
   requests will be penalized about it)
2) remove the request_max_size (therefore aligning the
   size of the request on the one of the biggest available)
3) try to compress the structure fields (most of the data
   are 32 bits, whereas they would fit in 16 bit fields)
4) store the data above the 64 bytes into the variable part
   of the message (but that would break the current structure
   scheme)

A+