We *really* need a development model change !

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Jan 3 13:04:48 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:59:37AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > > Do you really, really,
> > > really think all the tests will succeed under Wine
> > > from day 1 and we will be able to maintain them
> > > failure-free?
> >
> > Absolutely. There's a very simple way of enforcing that: I'm not
> > comitting anything that causes make test to fail.
>
> That's great to hear, but I think you have to modify your statement a
> bit -- you may want to commit new tests don't yet pass,
> if they show a real flaw in Wine.
OK, let me show my support for your view, too.

IMHO not committing any tests that fail is a high goal, but it's simply the
wrong one ;-)

Right now we've got a *lot* of problems giving people something worthwhile to
hack on:
Getting started with Wine is very difficult.

By giving people 150 (or, as far as I'm concerned, it'll be many more)
tests that fail on Wine, they even have *choice* in selecting the specific issue
that they want to fix !

That's why a "perfect" test suite is bad.

Tel. +49 7159 800604                http://home.nexgo.de/andi.mohr/