MSDOS Error Table Handling

ccrayne at crayne.org ccrayne at crayne.org
Sat Jan 5 13:35:03 CST 2002

In <Pine.LNX.4.21.0201051112170.4461-100000 at mizar.ping.uio.no>, on
01/05/02
   at 11:38 AM, Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> said:

:I'm not concerned about runtime technicalities in this case (this is not
:a performance-critical operation by any means), what's important is code
:clarity and maintainability. Adding all kinds of Wine-specific function
:handlers and associated asm code all over the place doesn't help
:clarity, maintainability, or modularity. (I feel it's already wrong for
:Wine's XMS code to not use the RMCB facility... my excuse is that they
:didn't exist when I wrote that XMS code... and probably not when Joseph
:started on the DOS error tables either)

That being the case, what do you think about removing the
DOSMEM_InitErrorTable function entirely, and letting int2f funcion 0x122e
subfunction 8 allocate the RMCB, and the associated real mode message
buffer, the first time it is called?

In addition to consolidating all of the error table handling in one place,
it would mean that no real mode space would be reserved unless a program
actually called the function.

-- Chuck Crayne
ccrayne at crayne.org