wine/ files/file.c server/file.c

Martin Wilck Martin.Wilck at fujitsu-siemens.com
Tue Jan 8 11:48:42 CST 2002

On 8 Jan 2002, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> I'm not sure 002 is a good idea. It seems to encourage doing
> distinctions between file types where we should instead try to handle
> them in a common way.

The whole point of the FD_TYPE_XYZ distinction, as it currently is, is
that at some places (actually, only in WriteFile() and ReadFile()), a
distinction according to fd type _must_ be made. I am not sure
if Windows allows overlapped IO on the console, for example, but if yes,
this patch would be a prerequisite to implement that.

I just wanted to make this distinction more logical. I think it is
necessary to separate fd types and flags. The distinction between
regular files, pipes, sockets, ... that the patch introduces is
currently not needed, but doesn't hurt IMO.

If you wish, I can strip the patch down to its essential part
(have separate flags for overlapped and timeout flags).
I guess I could also proceed entirely without this patch, if you seriously
reject it as a whole, but I fear this will bring trouble sooner or later.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409