We *really* need a development model change !

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 07:20:43 CST 2002

--- Gerard Patel <gerard.patel at nerim.net> wrote:
> At 04:44 PM 08/01/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >(Another Pythoner, cool :) )
>
> This has given me an idea - while I don't expect it
> to be
> used in Wine, I will try to write my own test progs
> with it : use the *windows* python interpreter under
> Wine.
> From the doc, it's possible to call any win32 api
> from
> it using a 'calldll' interface. If it works well, I
> won't need
> a 'test framework' - just use the standard,
> available tool.

Could you, please, port my or Alexandre's Perl samples
to Python, so we'll be able to easy compare them? It
will be interesting to see differences.

There is no big difference between Perl and Python for
this application.
IMHO they have the same problems:
a) you have no C compiler support. We need to define
manually constants, types of parameters, returning
values, sizes of structures, etc.
Even with C I saw on this list discussions about
correct sizes of the structures, leave alone scripting
languages.

b) developer skills. C the most familiar language to
those who knows/learns Win32.

About my backround - I know Perl pretty well, know and
like Python too.

Andriy Palamarchuk