Babystep: Testing framework

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Wed Jan 9 12:16:33 CST 2002

Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> writes:

> It has provisions for Perl and Winelib/C tests, as
> well as allowing for the arbitrary execution of
> any other command (which should allow any other
> test tools to be plugged in).

I can't say I like your *.test files; I think this should be taken
care of by the makefile directly. Also it seems the consensus is that
we should simply check the exit status of the test, not compare the
test output.

> Flaws:
>      1.  It has no provision for use on Windows.
>          IMO the right way to fix this is to
>          go through the effort of making Wine's
>          ./configure script be intelligent enough
>          to build 'Winelib' programs, so that
>          in Windows a 'make test' should just work.

I'm not sure about that; I think it would be preferable to have a
simple, self-contained environment. Running configure would require a
lot of stuff to be installed on the Windows side.

>      2.  I really don't like that a C/Winelib
>          test requires its own directory
>          (see samples/sample3).  However, AFAICT,
>          that was the only way to create a simple
>          and clean build environment for the Winelib app.

That's the problem with C tests. You cannot have one executable for
each test, at least not with Winelib, so we need a way to build
multiple tests inside a single executable. Not very hard, but there's
a bit of work involved.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com