int $3 and pstores service

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jan 9 19:07:43 CST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Travis Michielsen wrote:
[...]
> Immediately after the call to CreateProcessA, a call to interrupt 3 seems to
> be made but doesn't appear to return.  Anyone know what this interupt does or
> sopposed to do?  Is there any support for it in wine?

   'int 3' is a software breakpoint. I know that I used to insert such
software breakpoints in my code on Windows. It made it possible to
implement pretty intelligent breakpoints and was sometimes pretty
useful.
   But here I suspect it is there to prevent debugging of pstores...

The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable
                                  -- Paul Dean