Babystep: Testing framework

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 07:22:48 CST 2002

--- Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> However, having the diff feature allows us to more
> rapdily adapt existing programs to become tests.
> Since it's done (and it's trivial code), I don't see
> the harm in leaving in the feature.  We can hide
> it/discourage in in the (as yet unwritten) doco if
you like.

Some disadvantages of the diff approach was discussed
before. I just realized the problem which will make
using this approach practically impossible. The
problem - variations of output as result of:
1) using different Windows versions.
2) using TODO tests. The problem becomes even worse if
more than one Win32 implementation project (e.g. ODIN)
starts to use the test, because list of TODOs is
project-specific
3) I'm thinking about introducing WONTFIX feature.
This is when we choose, e.g. WinNT behavior and don't
implement Win95 behaviour. These WONTFIX calls are
also project-specific.

Now, imagin combinations of these :-)
Explicit check, on other hand, nicely comments all
these conditions in one place - in code.

Andriy Palamarchuk