_UNICODE vs UNICODE

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 12:52:47 CST 2002

Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Andriy Palamarchuk wrote:
> > Using macro name "UNICODE" instead of "_UNICODE"
is a
> > typo, right?
>
>   No, not necessarily. Windows has both and
dinput.h,
> for instance,
> uses UNICODE, not _UNICODE.
>
>   But I have no idea why they have two.

I did a little research and found in a few places
information that UNICODE is used by Windows headers,
_UNICODE is used by C-runtime/MFC headers. However I
did not find official explanation of this.
Some examples, including a few MSDN ones, define both.
E.g. see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wss/wss/_exch2k_getting_the_host_domain_name.asp

Can you tell now where we need to use which one?
Andriy Palamarchuk