C testing framework. ASCII/Unicode portable version

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jan 22 16:02:19 CST 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> but the interesting thing to do is to test fooW with Unicode input. So
> you should do something like:
>
> fooA("abc")
> fooW(L"some unicode chars here")

But notice that this is a problem independent of wether or not we write
the tests encoding independent. Even if we go with you version writen
above, is still not gonna work because people will not write "interesting"
Unicode strings. Period. If I was to write a test now, I have no idea how
to write non-pseudo-ASCII Unicode strings anyway.

This is why we _need_ to abstract constant strings out of the tests with
something like the teststr() function I was advocating. This is the only
way to get things like surrogates, etc. reliably used in tests.

The only hardcoded strings that can reside in tests are set-in-stone paths
in the registry (or what have) which we might as well code using the
(ugly) _T macro, but these should be just a minority of cases anyway.

--
Dimi.