Beautifying of Unicode mode check in tests

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 08:57:23 CST 2002

--- Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at baikal.ru> wrote:

> IMO unicode tests should be executed
> unconditionally, they just should
> be marked as "expected to fail".

I prefer all tests to succeed on all MS platforms. The
goal of the tests is to document Windows behavior and
by definition they should not fail on Windows.

Unicode tests, failing on Win95 may, or may not
succeed in other Win32 API implementations working in
win95 mode. This does not matter for these
implementations. You'll have some Unicode tests which
fail under Wine, others which succeed under Wine. We
are not going to change Wine because of this, but will
have to mark them differently, like
FAIL_MS_UNICODE(FAIL_WINE_UNICODE(test)). Now add to
this mess ODIN Unicode failed tests.

Besides, it is more convenient to find out conditional
one time and go through block of tests than think
about each test conditional.

> If you are going to
> conditionally run
> unicode tests, you eventually will come to a
> conclusion to conditionally
> run too much tests (native APIs, etc.)

Yes, we document a few Windows platforms together and
conditionals indicate differences between them. This
is not my fault they are so different :-)

Could you explain the problem of "conditionally
running too much tests"? What is bad about it?

Andriy Palamarchuk