Beautifying of Unicode mode check in tests

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Jan 23 09:33:15 CST 2002

"Andriy Palamarchuk" <apa3a at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > IMO unicode tests should be executed
> > unconditionally, they just should
> > be marked as "expected to fail".
>
> I prefer all tests to succeed on all MS platforms. The
> goal of the tests is to document Windows behavior and
> by definition they should not fail on Windows.

In that case you are going to test only very small subset
of win32 API.

> Unicode tests, failing on Win95 may, or may not
> succeed in other Win32 API implementations working in
> win95 mode.

There are no "Win32 API implementations working in win95 mode".
At all.

> This does not matter for these
> implementations. You'll have some Unicode tests which
> fail under Wine, others which succeed under Wine. We
> are not going to change Wine because of this, but will
> have to mark them differently, like
> FAIL_MS_UNICODE(FAIL_WINE_UNICODE(test)). Now add to
> this mess ODIN Unicode failed tests.
>
> Besides, it is more convenient to find out conditional
> one time and go through block of tests than think
> about each test conditional.

It's more convenient IMO to not bother to limit ourself
by any borders at all. Just do run all available tests and
analyze the results. If something fails, find out why, and
if needed mark it as "expected to fail".

> > If you are going to
> > conditionally run
> > unicode tests, you eventually will come to a
> > conclusion to conditionally
> > run too much tests (native APIs, etc.)
>
> Yes, we document a few Windows platforms together and
> conditionals indicate differences between them. This
> is not my fault they are so different :-)

I said it before: there is no different windows platforms
from the Wine point of view.

> Could you explain the problem of "conditionally
> running too much tests"? What is bad about it?

Same comment as above. There is no code branches in the Wine
code
if(win95) do something
else if(nt40) do something else
else do something else

Conditional tests should not exist either.

If tomorrow microsoft will invent "yet another win32 platform"
are you going to add new conditional test suit?

--
Dmitry.