Patch that broke SetFileAttributes

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Sun Jan 27 02:12:00 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 09:57:44PM +0200, Jukka Heinonen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 06:49:53PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > The problem is more that file attribute settings just doesnt work that well
> > on VFAT.
> >
> > So you basically break some more installers.
> >
> > I don't remember what installer it was however. :(
>
> Marcus, can you give some detailed information about
> cases where SetFileAttributes must succeed even though
> chattr fails?

I am using the following directory setup:

/mnt/hdaX is the 'C' drive of the windows installation, read only mounted
vfat.

There is a ~/windows and ~/windows/system directory, which contain
symlinks for every .exe and .dll to /mnt/hdaX/windows/ and .../system/.

Now, if I run "aspiinst.exe" I get:
Wine ERROR: Couldn't set file attributes for existing file "/home/marcus/windows/system/wnaspi32.dll".
Check permissions or set VFAT "quiet" mount flag
Wine ERROR: Couldn't set file attributes for existing file "/home/marcus/windows/system/winaspi.dll".
Check permissions or set VFAT "quiet" mount flag

It tries to set the permissions through the symlink, which causes this
problem.

> As far as I understand the original reason for your
> patch to SetFileAttributes was because users in some Wine
> installation shared large parts of windows and system
> directories and these shared parts were readonly, which
> makes chattr and thus SetFileAttributes fail.

See above.

> Now you are talking about some VFAT related problem.
> Is this problem in Linux VFAT drivers, Wine VFAT support or
> VFAT itself?

I was a bit confused. However chmod does not work on vfat as far as
I can see (chmod returns success only if the set mode is the same as
the original one).

Ciao, Marcus