MS' hidden API

David Elliott dfe at tgwbd.org
Mon Jan 28 17:01:52 CST 2002

On 2002.01.28 00:44 Zhang Shu wrote:
> Dear wine developers,
>
> I have one question on the development of wine. Long(one or
> two years) ago I've heard that Microsoft got some hidden
> APIs in their products of various windows, and they use
> these APIs in their own applications. I wonder if this is
> still a problem on their recent product like windows XP. If
> it is, I guess wine will not be able to run such MS
> applications which uses hidden APIs. Is this right?
>
> And, is wine designed(or its goal is) to run all
> applications(including MS product and non-MS product) that
> runs on windows?
>
> Please forgive me if this problem has appeared in the
> past. I just joined this list a couple of days ago.

Use the source, Luke!

Seriously.. a very quick perusal of the Wine sourcetree will show you
quite a few undocumented functions that are already well-implemented.  It
will also show you quite a few that are spec-file stubs (i.e. no-one even
knows what parameters the function takes, just that it is there).  And
you'll also see quite a few that are implemented as stubs (i.e. they
receive the correct number and type of paramters and print out a fixme
with that information).  You also I am sure (with more looking) could find
an undoc function that has the parameters wrong.  Although most of the
time this is not the case since if the incorrect number of bytes are
popped off the stack then the program will surely crash.

-Dave