Fix for MoveFileExA

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Thu Jan 31 16:02:04 CST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:36:55 -0600, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:

>Ok I interpret the MSDN paragraph differently. I read it as meaning that
>the MoveFileEx function would FAIL. if used with that flag. And that it
>was the Programs responsibility to write to the WinInit.ini file. In my

You are right. I just looked up the MSDN paragraph and it says that this
function is not supported on W95/98.

>experience with installers this has been the case. So there is not alot
>wine has to do, just do a version check and if in Windows 95/98 mode
>fail. I dont think it is proper for the function to do the writing to
>wininit.ini.

I have a program "Thandor" which installer uses this function. I check if it
creates the wininit.ini file manually. I only noticed the fixme message that
told me to rename files manually and I thought that annyoing so I tried to fix
it. At that time I didn't knew about that wininit.ini file so I didn't check
if it exists. What I also noticed now is that there appears to be a difference
between wine win98 and real win98. When I install this program under Win98 it
simply installs and I can run it immediatly. When I install it under wine with
--winver win98 at the end a dialog pops up that tells me if I want to reboot
or not. Since I have only win98 and NT installed I can't check if this
behaviour is under win95 but there is obviously something different here.

>The problem is sort of two fold.
>#1) this is not processing you want to have happen every time wine is
>started. Only after a reboot or when signaled to do so. There is alot of
>reboot / windows startup processing that happens (WinInit.ini, RunOnce
>etc..) and it is best to keep all that processing together. So wine
>startup starts to get bigger and messy.

I already checked that file Andreas showed me and I'll work on this now
instead. I agree that the code should be seperated as cleanly as possible so I
have no problem with that.

>Take a look at andreas' utility he sent out. It has alot it does but you
>can see how the wininit.ini processing works. It is also a very easy
>(maybe 1 hour) project to write up a smaller winelib/unix utility that
>does the same if that is all you need for you particular situation.

I don't want to do it for me specifically because I don't need that program to
run under linux. If I work on it then I want it to be integrated in wine. I
have no problem parsing the wininit.ini file myself, as this is a rather easy
job, as you said. I think I already wrote some years ago a function that does
this because windows wasn't so popular then. :)

--
Bye,
   Gerhard