Bug in MoveFileEx

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Jan 31 23:45:09 CST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Gerhard W. Gruber wrote:

> I just played around with Thandor trying to install it and see what the
> differences are between Win98 and Wine because I noticed a slightly different
> behaviour. Now I discovered that MoveFileEx is not even available in Windows
> 98 but wine supplies it nevertheless. I suspect that the Setup doesn't check
> the windows version, but rather calls MoveFileEx and if that fails with not
> implemented returncode continues with other code to supply the functionality.
> I wrote a small test app to confirm this and this returns an error code when
> calling MoveFileEx on a native win98 whiel wine executes it.
>
> How shall I fix this? Shall I simply call GetVersion() to determine if
> MoveFileEx should be allowed or is there a different way with wine to
> determine which functions are available for which version (a global variable
> or such)? I looked through the sources but I couldn't find anywhere something
> where a versioncheck has been used to switch code but then again I don't know
> much functions where I know for sure that they are available in one version
> and not in the other.

Why is it a problem?  There is no guarantee Wine will be run with the
same --winver next time, so the "boot" utility or startup code has to
handle both idiotic mechanisms.  It is not important to _me_ that Wine
should be exactly as Windows, only that it should work well.

If an app that people find useful refuses to work at all if it finds
functions that it thinks should not be there, I guess we might have to
cater for it, but I'd rather not.

Lawson